Wicked Comics Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which movies have you recently watched?

3 posters

Go down

Which movies have you recently watched?  Empty Which movies have you recently watched?

Post by chrislegalle Fri May 04, 2012 4:16 am

I watched Avengers Assemble which was really impressive, Machine Gun Preacher which was all right. Finally got around to watching The Book of Eli which I quite enjoyed, and The Help which I found surprisingly very enjoyable.

On the flipside of things, I had very high expectations with regards to the Young Adult but after 30mins I was so bored I had to stop it.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Which movies have you recently watched?  Empty Re: Which movies have you recently watched?

Post by Christopher Muscat Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Yes, I recently watched the AVENGERS movie too and I can't stop raving about it. For me it is the best comic book movie ever!

Also watched some good ghost/horror movies, recommended by my friend Fabio Agius - Guilliermo del Toro's DEVIL'S BACKBONE and THE ORPHANAGE, and the British AWAKENING.

A sort of hand held camera movie is the CHRONICLE. It deals with the clever idea of three young male protagonists that experience life with super powers. Surprisingly good!

Loved the next installment in the Mission impossible series - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: THE GHOST PROTOCOL. Brad Baird is a director to watch out for in the future!

I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and did like the different approach that Guy Ritchie took on the first movie. Basically SHERLOCK HOLMES : A GAME OF SHADOWS is a Robert Downey Jr. vehicle with more of the same. Not the best take on this fictional character but quite enjoyable.

Watched a girl's flick - THE VOW....disappointed as I taught it might have been much better. A waste of time!
Christopher Muscat
Christopher Muscat

Back to top Go down

Which movies have you recently watched?  Empty Re: Which movies have you recently watched?

Post by Christopher Muscat Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 pm

BTW @Chrislegalle,

Have not watched MACHINE GUN PREACHER yet.
THE BOOK OF ELI is quite good. Liked the tone and colours of the film.
THE HELP is really good drama. Something different for emerging artist Emma Stone.
Christopher Muscat
Christopher Muscat

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Yes Emma Stone is certainly doing some good flicks.

I agree with you on Mission Impossible 4 and Sherlock Holmes 2. Both good movies. Hopefully will see Chronicle this weekend, heard a lot of good things about it from different people. So basically it’s the one I'm looking forward to watch this weekend.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Mon May 07, 2012 8:23 pm

I only watched 2 movies this weekend, and for me it’s been a weekend of contradictions, since I ended up enjoying Rio a movie which I had no interest in watching and being disappointed by Chronicle the movie I really wanted to watch.

I originally watched the trailer for Chronicle in the cinema and it looked like an interesting movie. My expectations were further heightened when a lot of people I know started raving about it. However, after watching the movie, I really can’t understand while people seem to like it so much. It’s not that it’s an incredibly bad movie, but it surely doesn’t deserve the raving it’s been getting. The best way I can sum it is; an interesting premise poorly executed.

I really fail to see the point as to why it was shot in a hand held camera other than to try to disguise the shortcomings of this being a low budget movie. But even so the director still felt compelled to include certain shots which would not be possible by a hand held. So to me this technique came over as pointless and annoying. My next issue was with the characters which were so poorly written that they came over as just sketchy. So obviously none of them got my sympathy. But my biggest issue was with the development of the concept as a whole. So three twenty something boys get super powers, (plural cause they seem to be able to do everything) and simply do nothing with their powers except fool around in a rather retarded fashion. For crying out loud I’ll do a million things if I had those powers but none of which include lifting Lego pieces with my mind. After similarly idiotic set pieces where the annoying protagonists try out their powers, they decide on a code of conduct which leads to an ending which is more predictable then a calendar. A very disappointing movie indeed.

On the other hand when Rio came out I didn’t want to watch it because it just felt like another typical animation. And it really is. Still I stumbled on it on TV and kept watching it, because while it certainly does nothing new or special to make it stand out from the multitude of other animations it was still enjoyable.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dhalia Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 am

I just finished watching a film i think people need to check out. It's called 'Ink' and it is totally twisted in the way that the story is filmed and told. The whole thing is so difficult to describe, but being someone who really enjoys story telling with the dream - real life twists going on i really enjoyed it.

So i recommend Ink for sure. Then Detachment is good also, neither are comic stories but both great.

Dhalia

http://www.schoolofbitches.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Ink is a superb indie movie. Watched it a while ago when it came out, but now that you remind me it's about time I watch it again. I also admire the makers for their whole attitude towards creativity and sharing. These guys were solicited to become drones working on average movies but instead chose to do their own movies Kudos to them.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm

This weekend, I’ve watched This Means War and around ¾ of Haywire.

This Means War is a run of the mill big budget rom-com. It’s enjoyable but just as forgettable. The kind of pop corn movie that achieves exactly what it sets out to do (briefly entertain). Two CIA agents fall in love with the same chick and use their resources to capture her heart while foiling the attempts of the other.

When it comes to Steven Soderbergh movies, there is rarely any middle ground with me. I either like them a lot or dislike them a lot. Haywire unfortunately falls within the latter. It’s got a great cast but that is just about the only thing going for the movie. It’s really not clear what Soderbergh intended to do with this movie. It’s in part action and in part thriller but fails miserably on both accounts. The fact that I couldn’t bother to watch the ending shows you how “thrilling” the movie was and casting Gina Carano (a pro martial artist) in the main role does not automatically translate in a good action movie. In fact there’s too little action to be described as an action movie (although the little there is, is rather pleasing). If Soderbergh wanted to do an action movie, he should have seen a couple of Hong Kong flicks, the fact that they rarely have a plot is generally compensated by non-stop kick ass action.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Wed May 23, 2012 4:04 am

This weekend I only watched 1 movie, 21 Jump Street starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. Been after this one for quite sometime, and luckily it did not disappoint. The movie does exactly what one expects of it, entertains. A good comedy/action flick that follows Hill (nerd) and Tatum (Jock) as they go undercover in their old school to find the supplier of a new synthetic drug before it goes viral. A simple premise is made entertaining by all the actors involved, and some good direction. Ice Cube is awesome as Captain Dickson, and the cameo appearance from Johnny Depp is hilarious. A sequel has already been announced, and I for one am happy with this.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat Tue May 29, 2012 6:32 am

Recently I have seen 2 horror movies ..

Mum and Dad - An independent film about sick, twisted, cannibalistic, and more horrible adjectives ....parents who kidnap a young female, which lead to a series of tortures. Not for the weak of heart!

Troll Hunter - A sort of hand held camera film, about a group of students that follow a hunter which later they find out he is a troll hunter. Not really a good movie but I quite enjoyed it and took it with a pinch of salt.
Christopher Muscat
Christopher Muscat

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Tue May 29, 2012 9:42 pm

This weekend I watched Man on a Ledge which is a solid thriller starring Sam Worthington. The rest of the cast is also quite good. This is a Hollywood movie through and through and the ending is somewhat predictable, nonetheless it’s still rather enjoyable in an easy to watch and easy to forget kind of way. Probably I enjoyed this more than I should have because of the amount of crap films I’ve seen lately so this one which kinds of averages in all departments without actually excelling in any was a bit of a breather for me.

The other movie I watched this weekend was Goon starring Sean William Scott. This is a strange movie indeed but one which somehow works on all levels. The movie follows Doug Glatt who is a simple man whose only talent is hitting people and thus becomes an enforcer for a minor league hockey team. It’s a sports kind of movie, but it steers clear from the typical sports movies, and instead focuses on the main character it portrays. This is prolly because the movie is based on an autobiographical book which portrays the journey of real hockey player Doug Smith. Essentially the movie is a drama at heart but one which is never overly dramatic. The violent sport setting and the humours moments all contribute to the final delivery of the movie which is quite enjoyable for those who can stomach the violence and the swear words.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Muscat Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 am

I recently saw Safe House. A spy tries to expose corruption within his department. Not bad but we have seen similar movies, so there is nothing new to this type of setting.

Also watched Journey 2. It is aimed for kids, hence I watched it with mine. They loved it, and I was glad that they enjoyed it. Fun for the family but do not expect anything else.

Last edited by Christopher Muscat on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Muscat
Christopher Muscat

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislegalle Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I enjoyed Safe House, pretty generic yes but still good. It's also nice seeing Ryan Reynolds not wearing a costume for a change.

I saw the first Journey at the cinema. Man that was a stinker.

Recently saw The Vow. I suppose the film does has some merits like getting chicks in the mood, but otherwise it’s pretty bad.
chrislegalle
chrislegalle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down